Monday, August 9, 2010

Robyn's first featured baby product.

I've noticed out there in this magical universe called the internet, some people want to sing the praises of this or that baby product.

That's fantastic.  But I am not going to do that. 

I will provide a service to the public, showcasing products I think are absolutely stupid.  Products I believe are solely designed in order to waste money and/or make mommies feel bad about themselves.

I will begin by showcasing Picky Sticky.  These are stickers you buy in order to stick on a onesie to take a picture of your baby at one month, two months, etc.  You just stick, and click. All for about $17, including shipping: 

http://www.pickysticky.com/product-watch-me-grow-missy-fissy.php

The first time I saw these I had an instant pang of guilt.  Why didn't they have these when I had my son Nate?  I did not document every month of his first year.  I am a horrible mother.

I knew of the cult phenomenon of these thingies.  But I had no idea what they were called.  Doesn't that instantly make something more desirable?  After some futile searching, I finally googled something like whatarethosethingspeoplestickontheirbabiestotaketheirpictureseverymonth.  I'm so glad that I learned what they were called before I had to have some conversation about them which would have involved me not knowing what they were called and looking stupid.  

I thought you just do it for a year, but after reviewing their website, I realized you can do things like a year and a quarter.  A year and a half.  It never stops.  It is never enough.  I will never be good enough.

 I bet it doesn't end with the pictures.  The next logical step is you probably have to purchase some sort of collage frame (one of my biggest nightmares), print off all the monthly pictures you just sticked and clicked (stuck and cluck?).  God forbid you forgot a month or your baby's collage frame will have a sad little empty circle. 

But a new baby is coming!  I have a second chance.  I can do things right this time, and be a good mommy.

Nope.  I will not do it.  I may, however, at random times, stick a super sticky post-it note on my baby, noting the random age/date.  Or whatever I want to write.  Who doesn't love post-it notes?  I realize post-it notes are not free, but I already have them, so this would be at no additional cost to my family.  Once the baby can hold a crayon, he is responsible for fashioning his own post-its. 

At worldvision.org, I learned I could sponsor a child for $35, about two sets of Picky Sticky's.

If I happen to receive a set of Icky Stickies, I will return them and use the money to send to a starving child.  I could at least sponsor one child for half a month, or half a child for one month.  Or perhaps I will send the Picky Sticky's (and a camera) to some mom in Africa who would never have this opportunity.  I know she doesn't have rice or formula, but I don't want her to feel like a bad mommy too.  

-Robyn
us sisters got to stick together 

No comments:

Post a Comment